torsdag 15 januari 2009

Mmmmmmmore beets

"The beet is the most intense of vegetables. The radish, admittedly, is more feverish, but the fire of the radish is a cold fire, the fire of discontent, not of passion. Tomatoes are lusty enough, yet there runs through tomatoes an undercurrent of frivolity.
Beets are deadly serious."
0000000000000000 Tom Robbins
0
This is one of our favorite salads — today for the first time we made it with polka dot beets. It tastes the same but red beets are prettier. If you don't live near an IKEA store or other shop where you can buy lingon berry jam I'm sure you can use cranberry jam as they have a similar taste.

Rödbetssallad (red beet salad)

3 red beets
1 large apple
chopped nuts
1 tbsp lingonberry jam
3 tbsp heavy cream or sour cream
1 tsp oil
caraway seeds

Grate beets and apple and mix with the other ingredients.

6 kommentarer:

  1. I happen to have a jar of Ikea's jam sitting in my pantry. I may have to try this!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Lingonberry jam is good with almost everything - I eat it every morning with my yoghurt and müsli, it is good to put on the porridge or on cakes. One of my friends soften vanilla ice cream and mix it with crème fraich and some lingonberry jam when she needs a fast unplanned dessert. I could go on for quite a while.....
    Margaretha

    SvaraRadera
  3. We love beets and I had to send this recipe to my daughters......I wish an Ikea were closer than an two hour drive from me! But you don't have to go there to find longonberry jam.....I do love your blog. I learn so many new things there/here.

    SvaraRadera
  4. Another sald recipe for you. I thought of it because of the radish in the Tom Robbins quote. A Hungarian cousin would grate radish - maybe a cup of grated radish, whatever sort you like. She then chopped up a green pepper very finely and made a sauce of sour cream thinned with milk, or you could use thick yoghurt or buttermillk. Refreshing. It's more for summer, or best in summer, I think.

    SvaraRadera
  5. Den här kommentaren har tagits bort av skribenten.

    SvaraRadera
  6. Kristi,
    I hope you had a grand Holiday season!

    Thank you for the radish recipe it sounds very good - I've saved it.

    Maybe you have a deli near you where you can buy lingonberry jam - but it might be expensive...

    I'm glad you like it over here in my corner of the blogosphere - one thing of many that I like with reading blogs is that we all know different things and have different experiences.
    Margaretha

    SvaraRadera