tisdag 13 januari 2009

B is for beets


Monix has started to cook herself through the alphabet. She had a yummy recipe for filled aubergine the other day and today I made a beet quiche. I think it would look nicer with red beets than the polka dot ones I bought yesterday. And it would have looked less pale had I turned the oven on the right temperature 200°C instead for just under 175°C that I for some strange reason did. It was good even if I probably try to add more spices next time.

Rödbetsquiche (red beet quiche)

Your favorite whole-wheat crust, pre-baked for about 10 minutes.

½ kg beets, preferable rather small
½ tsp thyme
pepper
100 g feta cheese
3 eggs
3 dl milk
Cook the beets and slip of the skins. Cut them in half and put them, cut side down, in the pie pan. Crumble the feta cheese on top of the beets. Beat the eggs with the milk and add the thyme and pepper (I used chervil as well). Bake at 200°C for about 30 minutes — or until ready.
0
I was wondering if carrots would be next but Monix has already prepared a C-dish, so I guess we have to figure out what D-dish to make.

4 kommentarer:

  1. I hope there are some beets in my veg box which arrives tomorrow, Margaretha. I can't wait to try this quiche. I cannot think of a vegetable beginning with the letter D - perhaps there is one in Swedish?
    Maureen

    SvaraRadera
  2. D is a hard one - I had to cheat and looked in several cookbooks.
    daikon radish
    dandelion
    dried fruit
    dates
    dal lentil
    damson
    dill
    dates
    is what I found. There are even less in Swedish, I can only think of one druva = grape. I had a recipe for date squares on my Swedish blog some time ago - but of course any dessert could fit in!
    Margaretha

    SvaraRadera
  3. I think it will have to be a carrot dessert to keep the vegetable theme, Margaretha. Or maybe we could simply have diced vegetables! I wonder if any more letters will give us problems?

    SvaraRadera
  4. I'm sure there are other tricky letters. L for leftovers is my favorite letter though! Hope you get beets today. I'll soon put up more beet recipes - first a couple of our standard recipes and after that maybe some new ones. Yesterday I got a German magazine with some beet recipes; I'll try some of them.
    Margaretha

    SvaraRadera