fredag 27 februari 2009

A tasty failure


0
"The Suffrage Cook Book" has some interesting recipes. I thought the Grape Fruit Pies looked interesting — very similar to a lemon meringue pie, but not as sweet. I love grape fruit so yesterday I decided to make one. I stirred and stirred and stirred some more but the filling never thickened. After what seemed as en eternity I gave up and poured it into the shell and hoped it would miraculously thickened while I was beating the egg white. That gave the filling plenty of time to thicken as the egg white also refused to thicken! Finally I poured the gooey egg white over the not thickened pie and left it in the fridge. Several hours later it still was sloppy and I moved it to the freezer.It is delicious! If you like bitter marmalade I'm sure you'd like this pie, but I doubt that it is something for kids or people with a sweet tooth.
0

0
Grape Fruit Pie
First bake a shell as for lemon pie, then make a filling as follows: Mix one tablespoon of cornstarch in a little cold water, and over this pour one cupful of boiling water. To this add the juice of two grapefruits, the grated rind and juice of one orange, the beaten yolks of two eggs, and the white of one, and a small piece of butter. Put all in the double boiler and cook until thick, stirring all the time. When done, put in the shell. Now beat up the white of the second egg with one-half a cupful of sugar until thick, and spread with a knife over the pie. Put in the oven and let brown lightly. Serve cold. This makes a delicious pie.

From "The Suffrage Cook Book", 1915, by L. O. Kleber

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar