onsdag 23 september 2009

AMONG THE HOLLYHOCKS


AMONG THE HOLLYHOCKS.
By CLARA THWAITES.


Sing among the hollyhocks,
,,,,,, "Summer, fare thee well!"
Ring the drooping blossoms
........For a passing bell.


Droop the sunflowers, heavy discs
....... Totter to their fall.
Up the valley creep the mists
...... For a funeral pall.


Lingering roses woefully
....... In the cold expire.
Heap the dead and dying
...... For a funeral pyre.


While the gale is sighing,
...... While the wind makes moan,
Sigh among the hollyhocks
...... Of the summer flown.

.
From The Girl's Own Paper, Vol. VIII, No. 355, October 16, 1886

2 kommentarer:

  1. Summer fled while I wasn't watching this year........Alas. But I love autumn and American Thanksgiving and Christmas............It has been very busy and I have missed computer time! It's very nice to read your blog again.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Welcome back Kristi, it's good to hear from you again!
    I hope you had a good time in Germany. Yes, fall is here - which I find a bit hard to accept this year as I'm still waiting for the summer which never arrived!
    Margaretha

    SvaraRadera